The Merits of Carrots

November 22, 2008

Let Thursday stand as evidence that I am not trying to eradicate dairy from my diet. Between the two kinds of stuffing, sweet potato pie, butter-soaked onions etc I'll be well set in that department but as is my wont I shall now let you in on yet another "why does this cookie recipe look like a stew recipe?" recipe.

I had squirreled away four cans of tomatoes and a hefty supply of carrots and shallots with the intention of making a double-batch of Batali sauce but as the days went by I was faced with dwindling ambitions and carrots on the verge of wilting. Not one to simply eat the carrots, I went in search of a carrot cookie recipe. Alright if you must know, I looked for a carrot-ginger cookie, obvs. The search proved much more difficult than I anticipated, mainly because that combination of ingredients tends to get you a bunch of results for carrot cake, or carrot cake cookies. I was not interested in carrot cake. Finally I found three recipes and after combining and veganizing them I hit on success. I have not forsaken bananas, but carrots made an argument for careful consideration in the "mushy items you can put in baked goods" competition.

Vegan Oatmeal Carrot Ginger Cookies
Like most of my vegan cookies, these did not retain their crispness once they had been stored. My theory is that my use of primarily liquid dairy substitutes makes for a cookie that ultimately succumbs to its own moisture. This does not affect the taste but I was a little embarassed to offer them to people at work. Their crumb-mumbled declarations of "delicious!" made me feel better, but I really wish I could keep the out-of-the-oven crisp shell from fading.

Another note: these would also be good with some raisins added. I did not have rasisins.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
6 Tbl unsweetened apple sauce
2 Tbl apple butter
2 Tbl vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/8 cup agave syrup
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup 0% Fage (or any egg subsitute equivalent to 1 egg)
1 cup oats, old fashioned or quick (not instant)
3/4 cup shredded or grated carrots
1/2 - 1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans and just a few walnuts)
1/4 - 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger (confession: I did not really measure how much ginger I put in. That goes for the nuts too.)
Preheat oven to 375.

Mix together all dry ingredients save nuts and ginger.

In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until thoroughly mixed.

Gradually add flour mixture and mix until evenly distributed, then add in nuts and ginger.

Line baking sheet with parchment and evenly distribute dough balls roughly 1-2 Tbl in size.

Bake for 10-13 minutes or until browned and crisp. Be patient and don't worry too much about them burning. These are very forgiving and very moist cookies.

Makes about 24 cookies unless you don't eat ANY of the dough, in which case you might squeeze out a couple more.



No comments: