Ginger is King

October 7, 2008

I am a ginger addict. Give me a baggie of crystallized ginger at the Co-Op and you will find me a few minutes later sweating and shaking in line while polishing off the last medallion. Restraint isn't my strong suit anyway and when it comes to ginger any attempt at moderation is a wasted ten seconds of self-delusion. I try to stick chopped crystallized ginger in pretty much anything I bake, even though the resultant pebbles of tongue-searing spice aren't everyone's flavor of choice. Occasionally even I will admit that the pleasure of consuming the ensuing baked good might have been heightened by the omission of ginger, but generally I make wise decisions where butter and sugar are concerned. Stumbling across the following ginger cookie recipe was one of the smartest things I ever did. I meant to post them last winter but my first batch didn't even see tupperware due to being scarfed down by myself and some dinner guests. While not as bitingly gingery as the previously-posted vegan ginger snaps adapted from How It All Vegan, these cookies still have a nice zing to them and are less dense and more cakey. They cook up perfectly every time with nice cracked tops and freeze very well. You might even want to eat them with a few tablespoons of apple butter for dipping. These are the lengths to which people who were deprived Dunk-a-roos will go.


Almost Vegan Apple Butter Ginger Cookies
I riff on this recipe, using yogurt for my egg replacer (hence the not quite vegan-ness, though of course you can use soy yogurt if that's your prerogative ) and adding sundry fillings as desired. Dried cherries do pretty well and I'm sure some chocolate wouldn't hurt things.
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup sugar (I use florida crystals)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger (or more)
4 Tbl canola oil
4 Tbl blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup unsweetend apple butter (I like Kime's)
1/4 cup yogurt (any kind will do, even non-fat. If you'd like to use another egg replacer just use however much evens out to one egg, i.e. 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer. I have not tried using a banana in these for fear of imparting an unwelcome banana taste but maybe the ginger would take care of that).
Turbinado sugar for dusting.
Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together wet ingredients.

Whisk together dry ingredients.

Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop dough balls roughly 1-2 Tbl in size and roll in sugar to coat. Evenly place on baking sheet.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until the cookies appear set. Remove from oven, let cool on rack.

Makes approximately 24 cookies.

1 comment:

Megancake said...

Hey so I baked Trader Joe's boxed Gingerbread today and it is pretty tasty, it has a lot of gingery spice so I thought of you! I know you like your baked goods vegan but I suggest you buy a box, bake it and slather it with butter, and possibly some bits of crystallized ginger, you won't regret it, although your ass might! Cheers!