Bruising and Boozing

March 16, 2008

The following series of posts will be horribly out of chronological order but nevertheless replete with deliciousness so I feel little chagrin. I'd all but chained myself to my chair to get some posts dashed off when my wine-seltzer-fruit punch cocktail (not as good as it sounds...or perhaps just as good as it sounds?) kicked in and instead of typing out the five or so entries I've had swirling in the cranial vortex for the past few weeks my fingers started searching out new things to bake. Sharing responsibility with the alcohol for this baking itch was a near-moldering banana in the fruit basket that gradually loomed so large in my sights that I could resist it no more than Macbeth his ghostly knife. For that banana to come to rest in the trash would be a musaic tragedy, and I was going to save it. Deciding that I also wanted to use maple syrup and nuts, I scoured the web and ended up working from a composite of about a dozen recipes.

Let's just get this out of the way: the cookies are vegan. Let's get another proclamation out of the way: I have a feeling that the majority of cookie recipes I post will be vegan. There's little logic to it, I've already declared my fealty to Lord Dairy in so many words, but I really like dense salty cookies and quite often going vegan is the way to achieve this result (though just wait until I try my black olive shortbread, those buggers are going to be so oozy with salt and butter that after eating them you won't be able to engage in anything requiring dextrous digits). There will be no further apologizing or justifying in this department but, being a fan of grandiose statements applied to trivial subjects, I hereby dedicate myself to pushing the limits of applesauce, bananas, psyllium and all other stand-ins for lactose and embryos. Onward.

Vegan Maple Banana Oatmeal Cookies
yields 36 cookie nuggets
A few notes:
-I have fallen in love with the taste of maple syrup in baked goods but you can certainly substitute brown sugar if you'd like a cookie without that maple edge.

-Bananas are often employed as an egg substitute (~1/2 pureed banana per egg) and can have a surprisingly minimal effect on the overall taste of a baked good.
My confounding recent conversion to the pro-banana camp leads me to suggest that another half or even whole banana be employed in this recipe to really give these cookies a banana kick, the one lends a pleasing hint and does the job of an egg but some might desire more of a smack of banana flavor.
-I'm not positive that the soy milk is necessary, I just thought the dough seemed a bit dry.

-
Though I resisted the my typical urge to start adding ingredients willy-nilly, I am fairly convinced that additions such as apple butter, crystallized ginger, yellow raisins or ground flax seeds would all yield a tasty result.
3 Tbl oil (I used canola, I suspect safflower or any vegetable oil would work just as well)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 mushy banana, puréed or otherwise reduced to a pulp
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbl unsweetened soy milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 - 2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375F.

Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.

Whisk the oil, honey, maple syrup, soy milk and vanilla. Stir in the banana, pecans and rolled oats.

Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring whilst adding and thoroughly mixing until dough is a gummy mass.

Evenly distribute tablespoon-sized dollops of dough on baking sheet and flatten slightly if desired. These cookies really do not spread during baking so if you prefer discs to nuggets, prep accordingly before putting in the oven.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are slightly browned and crisp. Remove from oven and cool on rack.


4 comments:

Danny said...

are all vegan cookies really dense?

Tory said...

the ones I make are, but there are ways to get around it. namely baking powder and not packing your dough with all manner of fixins!

Angus said...

These sound great. Thanks for posting the recipe. I had a serious craving for oatmeal cookies but didnt have any butter. Luckily I found your blog. :3

TORY said...

Hope they worked out for you, Angus!